Friday, April 1, 2011

Mommy-guilt diminished

Before we started eating clean I felt like such a crappy mom.  I gave in to my children's requests for crappy food because they never wanted the carrot sticks or apples I offered.  They wanted chips, Cheetos, fishies, cereal, fruit snacks, Fruit by the Foot, pretzels, wheat thins, cookies, graham crackers.  Why did I give in?  Because I didn't want them to starve.  And I didn't know what else to put in their lunches.  I knew it wasn't good but I didn't know what else to do.  But I'll admit it, the bad-mom-guilt really, really got to me.  It was always bringing me down and had me hating on myself.

I'm so glad I don't have to feel that way anymore.  Actually now I feel rather pleased with myself.  The satisfaction when my kids ask for healthy snacks and foods is amazing.  I love, love, love it when my kids say, "Mom, can I have an apple?  Mom, can I have oatmeal for breakfast?  Mom, can I have some more carrot sticks?  Yay, we're having (insert name of healthy dinner here) tonight!"  Who knew that feeding your kids this way could make a mom so happy.

Tonight I walked into the house after a trip to the grocery store and my son said, "Yay, Mom bought bananas."  A year ago he would have said, "Where's the chips?  Did you buy chips?"

No comments: